We all know what kind of a craze Black Friday brings to businesses all across the country. With slashed prices and flashy ads overwhelming the consumer, what can small businesses do to prepare and stand out in their market? We have compiled a few tips and tricks to help enhance your small business Black Friday Success.
- Know the products your audience wants and make sure you have more than enough in stock. If you’re constantly sold out of Pumpkin Pie, but have almost expired Pineapple, then you know to order significantly more Pumpkin Pie and not worry so much about stocking the Pineapple.
- Get your supply orders in early. Every wholesaler is going to be getting a large influx of orders. Be sure your order is in early enough that you don’t have to worry about it arriving in time.
- Have a countdown on your website and in your store to create anticipation and excitement for your customers.
- Don’t be afraid to embrace being a small business. “Buy Local” is a very popular trend right now. Use that to your advantage.
- The vapor industry is still new to many people: have a display with holiday suggestions that range from beginner to advanced.
- Big box stores have the margin and volume capabilities to slash their prices, but small businesses don’t have that luxury. Focus on quality, expertise and customer service.
- Set up a “Showroom” type area with some of your similar items grouped together with the pro’s and con’s of each outlined for your customers to review and compare in store.
- Have “Specialist” employees in different areas of your store. Many people do not fully understand nicotine levels and blends in e-liquid, or the difference between a regulated and unregulated mod. Have staff to provide honest expertise to your customers.
- Understand that many customers are tired, frustrated, and stressed while shopping for the holiday season. Set up an atmosphere that allows for a positive and enjoyable shopping experience, including having enough staff to avoid long lines and waiting for answers.
Behind The Scenes
- While much of it may seem like obvious common sense, there are many areas of analytics that allow for a deeper insight into what is trending in the market, as well as within your business. There are many tools and software programs available to assist in getting a better understanding of your customers and the industry in general.
- Find that fine line between not re-inventing the wheel and standing out from your competitors. Being too different could scare away potential customers, while looking like a clone can damage your brand recognition.
- Don’t be afraid to get help. Check out the Better Business Bureau Small Business Help Center for a multitude of tips, tricks, and ideas for small businesses in your area.
If you remember nothing else, remember this – get your stock in early and focus on a positive customer experience. According to Salesforce, 89% of consumers have stopped doing business with a company after experiencing poor customer service. However, 55% of consumers would pay more for a better customer experience.
Have a safe and happy Black Friday, and be sure to get your e-juice order in now!